At one time, there were only a couple of choices for motor oil. Today, that is no longer the case, and hasn't been for quite some time. Here's a quick breakdown of what you need to consider when it's time for an oil change:
- Viscosity: Viscosity is how thick your oil is, and how it retains its pour properties at various temperatures. In this respect, synthetic oil is far superior. Conventional oils will thicken in cold weather and thin out when very hot, while the viscosity of synthetic is much more uniform. Check your owner's manual -- many newer models require a thinner, lower-viscosity oil, which also helps the engine run more efficiently. Viscosity is expressed as a numerical value -- the lower the number, the thinner the oil. Many are designed to work a ...[more]
- How many miles does the current motor oil have on it? How does it look on the dipstick? Highway miles are much, much easier on a vehicle. All the engine has to do is maintain a steady speed and steady RPM range, even if it’s a higher speed. That’s much less stress on the engine, transmission and driv ...[more]
- Smoke: There are a few different reasons that a vehicle might smoke through the tailpipe, and three different colors of smoke that can all indicate different things. White smoke means that coolant is entering ...[more]
Summer’s here, and that means it’s time for weekend road trips and longer vacation drives. Is your car ready? Don Owen Tire is offering some discounts this summer to help you get on the road and save a few bucks at the same time:
- Oil Change – Every car likes to run on a crankcase full of clean, fresh motor oil. Prevent buildup of gunk and sediment in your engine this summer with an oil change…and Don Owen Tire will sweeten the deal a little with a $5-off coupon (offer good through 8/31).
- Brake Service – Don’t take chances on your brakes and your safety. If you’re noticing changes in braking performance or hearing noises from your brakes that weren’t there a month or two ago, it m ...[more]