7 Fun Independence Day Celebrations
Everyone looks forward to Independence Day…for many folks, it’s the real kickoff of summer, and of course the whole family loves the barbeque, fireworks and fun of July 4. At Don Owen Tire in Bloomington, IL, we wanted to do a quick roundup of July 4 traditions in a few towns around Central Illinois:
- Bloomington, IN – The “other Bloomington” will be host to its annual Fourth of July Parade, with entries that include floats, equestrian groups, classic cars, marching bands, and other entries to show their patriotism and love of the Bloomington community. The parade begins at 10 a.m. and is preceded by a concert by the Bloomington Community Band, beginning at 9 on the courthouse square.
- Streator, IL – Streator’s annual Fourth of July celebration runs for four days, and includes a lip-sync contest, a carnival, 5k run, music, a parade and fireworks display. Most events are held at Streator’s City Park, while the fireworks will be conducted at Streator High School.
- Minonk, IL – This little Central Illinois town always puts on a good Fourth of July, with a great fireworks display and fun events for the family.
- Peoria, IL – Peoria’s famous for its annual 4th of July Backyard BBQ, with an all-you-can-eat buffet, ice cream, “Summer of Dinosaurs” family activities and wacky science experiments at the Peoria Riverfront Museum.
- Charleston, IL –You won’t want to miss Charleston Red, White and Blue this year; held on July 2-5, the celebration will include vendors, the American Veterans Traveling Tribute, Bingo in the Park and music from Jo Dee Messina and others. On the 4th, enjoy the American Legion Pancake Breakfast, a 4 mile run/walk to benefit Habitat for Humanity, fun activities for the kids and a fireworks display at Coles County Airport.
- East Moline, IL – Enjoy old-fashioned 4th of July fun in the Quad Cities with a parade and fireworks.
- Downs, IL – If you feel like keeping it close to home, Downs will have music from The Bygones on July 3, as well as a parade, food vendors, sand volleyball tournament and (of course) a great fireworks display.
Whether you travel this Independence Day or stay right here in Bloomington, IL, Don Owen Tire wishes you a fun, safe and happy Fourth of July!