Father's Day Destinations for the Entire Family
June 15th, 2015
Father’s Day is coming up, and Dad might want to get out of Bloomington, IL for a day or two. Here are a couple of suggestions for fun destinations within a few hours’ drive:
• French Lick, Indiana – There’s so much to do in French Lick/West Baden, it’s been a vacation destination for over 100 years now. There’s the circa-1901 French Lick Resort, with Vegas-style gaming, horseback riding, spas, golf and activities for the kids…the French Lick Springs Hotel and West Baden Springs Hotel both harken back to the opulence and hospitality of old-school American hotels.
• Green Bay, Wisconsin – Only two hours north of the Illinois border, Green Bay’s Bay Beach Amusement Park offers a roller coaster, kiddie rides, bumper cars, a Ferris wheel and much more, with traditional Midway-style food and ride tickets at a cheap, cheap 25 cents each. In addition, the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary gives Dad a chance to commune with nature and see wildlife up close, with more than six miles of hiking trails through animal habitat.
• Giant City State Park – Just a few minutes outside of Carbondale, Giant City’s 4,000-acre park offers some of the most breathtaking scenery anywhere in southern Illinois, with cliffs, bluffs, waterfalls and sandstone rock formations nestled in hardwood forest. See the 1930s-era lodge built by the CCC, and enjoy camping at the park or drive into Carbondale for a little bit of fun!
• Little Grand Canyon – It’s little and it’s grand at the same time, with towering sandstone bluffs, lush ferns and forests and deep canyons. Over the centuries, the Big Muddy River carved this dramatic canyon just south of Murphysboro through erosion. If you go hiking, be careful – some of the descents into the canyon can be very slippery and dangerous!
If Dad feels like keeping it closer to home, there are plenty of options right in Bloomington/Normal, such as:
• Anju Above - with fresh Farm-to-Table dining and classic Neapolitan pizzas
• Alexander’s Steakhouse - with classic steakhouse fare and the option to grill your own steaks over a live charcoal fire
• Baxter’s American Grille - with steaks, seafood, chops and mouth-watering signature dishes in an upscale atmosphere
• Firehouse Pizza - how can you go wrong with fresh ingredients, fresh dough made from scratch daily and a fun atmosphere
Dad works hard, help make his day a special, memorable one with either a much-needed vacation or fun dining closer to home in Bloomington, IL!
Posted in: Company News